Saturday, July 23, 2011

Mask Making




The first mask I chose is one my grandfather got while on vacation and he had it on displayed in his home.  The mask is made of leather; there is no artist or title of the work though it appears to be handmade.  The principles and elements are: texture, forms, emphasis.  It reminds me of a native girl.  The artist may have been creating a mask out of leather to show the hard life this women had.  The second mask is from Bali, Indonesia called Patih Keras, made by Ida Ketut Berati, master carver.  It is 8 inches, painted wood, hair, mother –of-pearl, jewelry. It is well carved and finished with many coats of paint with great attention to detail. It’s can rival the Noh masks in quality.  The last mask is called Huaco mask from Latacunga, Ecuador.  It’s 9 inches and made from paper mache.  Huaco is the second most important character in La Fiesta de la Mama Negro, a popular annual celebration in the Ecuador.  They have a non-commercial, folk-art look. 




The mask I created using the forms element for the three-dimensional shape, color with the different value and intensity, and texture smooth and rough.  I wasn’t sure what to create but after I started it just came together, I wanted it to be colorful so I used acrylic paints.


No comments:

Post a Comment